The following is a condensed transcript of an interview conducted by The Salt Lake Tribune’s Greg Lukianoff and published in the February 7 issue.

Greg Lukienoff: I’ve been a long time reader of The Salt and the Prophet, and one of my favorites is this excerpt from The Mormon Polygamist, which is by David Whitmer.

The book opens with the Prophet Joseph Smith in his home in Nauvoo, Illinois, speaking to a group of Latter-day Saints who were about to gather to celebrate the opening of the Salt Lake Temple.

At the end of his address, Joseph Smith’s voice is heard, “I have been commanded to speak truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.”

In his speech, Joseph tells his listeners: “I do not seek my own glory; but that of the Father and the Son, that they might all come into the knowledge of the truth and live out their days in peace.”

Later, Joseph recounts a visit to a man named “John the Baptist,” who was a member of the LDS Church, and whose wife had died in childbirth.

John the Baptist is described as having “great stature and broad shoulders, and a beard of fine white hair” and as having a “very deep voice.”

The Prophet Joseph then tells John the Baptists family, “And now, it is not my will that you should come into my house and partake of my sacrament.

It is only for your own safety that you come.”

John was baptized at the temple in Naupah, Illinois.

“John” was not the only person baptized during the opening ceremony of the temple.

After John, the Saints left for Nauvah to celebrate their arrival.

Joseph Smith spoke to the Prophet again, “John is the brother of Jesus Christ, and he has the power of the Holy Ghost, which he received from his mother, Mary, and was given to him by God.”

John’s brother, Oliver Cowdery, was baptized on the same day, the day of the first full moon in April 1843.

The Saints stayed in Nauhoo, Missouri, for a month to prepare for the event, and during this time, Joseph was to receive the Holy Spirit.

Joseph then told John the baptist’s family that he was the “Son of God,” and told them, “This is my gospel, and this is my power, and you shall have it.

Now, this is a matter of great importance for me, for I know not what I have to do.”

John the baptized was “a very faithful boy,” but John “could not bear to be called a Mormon.”

John and his parents were left to ponder the decision to baptize their son, and decided that they needed to leave the area, as their son was not a Mormon.

The following year, the Mormons moved to the area surrounding Independence, Missouri.

On April 5, 1845, Oliver and Mary Cowderys returned to Nauvu.

John’s mother was then baptized at Independence’s First Baptist Church, located at the corner of Route 128 and Route 66.

In addition to being baptized, John also received the Spirit.

John was not baptized again until October 1845 at a different church in Independence, and the following day he returned to Independence.

In his book, The Mormon Prophet: The Life of Joseph Smith, historian Scott W. Anderson explains, “The following week, Joseph baptized his brother Oliver in the Church of Jesus God, in a place that had not been previously used as a meeting place, and Joseph took Oliver to the temple to receive his ordinance.

On that occasion, Joseph also received a revelation from God that he had been given authority to baptise John and Oliver.

In this same vision, the Lord commanded him to go forth to preach the gospel to all nations and kindreds, and to baptizing every creature that he might multiply and replenish the earth.”

After this, John and Mary left Independence and headed to the west coast, where they settled in California.

In January 1846, John’s parents were baptized again at a church in Pasadena, California, but this time at the Missionary Baptist Church in San Diego.

In their book, How the Mormons Changed America, historian Dan Vogel writes that John was one of several baptized people who accompanied Joseph to the Mission.

During this time in California, Joseph visited the Mission, which had a mission house at 1401 South Lake Shore Drive.

“There was no house in San Francisco where a Mormon was to be seen,” Vogel tells The Salt, “except for the Mission House.”

Joseph’s brother-in-law, Hiram Page, visited the Mormon Mission in San Jose in late February.

Hiram visited the mission house and told Joseph that he wanted to go to the mission.

“I said, ‘Well, I’ll see if I can get a mission.’

Hiram went with me, and we went to the house, and when we came out of the house he saw that there was a